9 Nov 2013

I was pelted with tomatoes for snatching my friend’s husband in a movie — Shan George_naijaswap



Shan Gearge
She cause ripples with her acting skills and interpreted her scripts professionally. Then, Cross River State-born actress, Shan George made headlines as one of the sexy actresses in Nollywood. She opens up on her career and life
 You have been quiet for a while, what have you been up to?
I am working on my latest film entitled ‘Finding Goodluck’. It will be released very soon.
 It was said you withdrew because of the emergence of young girls in the industry?
I have heard this lot of times but we should all realise that this industry has no age limit. I am still acting and will still be acting till death. I was not seen for sometime because when you do a job for about 10 years or more, you are balanced well and need not be seen everywhere like before. That does not mean you are no longer in the industry. Entertainment is ageless and unending.
 Or were you intimidated?
I think it’s a shallow way of thinking. It’s not a competition of youthfulness. It is an industry that accommodates everybody of any age. Actors such as Justus Esiri and Sam Loco-Efe died as actors at a much matured age. It is no longer the home video era where you shoot a movie in two weeks. Now, movies are taken to the cinema and that means your script has to be very good. The same applies to your logistics of location, audition, actors and lots more. All these take a very long period to put together. My latest work took me two years to put together. If you are seeing in me in 10 movies some years back, it’s no longer like that because I am more involved in film production. Some people should grow up, please.
 So far, how many movies have you produced?
I produced my first movie when I was at the University of Lagos which was in 2008. It was titled All for Winnie.  Till date, I have produced 22 movies in all.
 Where did you get the money to fund all these works?
It has been God all the way.
 There are some actresses who haven’t produced a movie till date?
You don’t have to produce a film if you don’t have the desire to do so.
 What inspired you to go into production even as an actress?
I started as an actress and a producer. Let me say its desire and ability that brought me up into producing. Some people may not just want to produce, not because they don’t have the money, but they don’t desire it.
 How has those scandals published in the media affected you?
As a human being, such things affect me. How we cope with it is what makes us different. For me, I see it as the hazard of the profession. Fortunately, my children are adults and can decipher truth from falsehood. Truth is, when people write false comments about you, those who are very close to you (your family) always know the truth. They are those who matter to me.
Once you have a clear conscience, then there is no fear.
 How do you cope with fans who either like or hate you for roles you play in films?
I love all of them. I show them love because I know some will hate you and others will like you. The men? You don’t even need to be a celebrity before men rush at you. Any man makes advances at every good-looking woman.
 Where did the issue of your third marriage emanate from?
There was no third marriage. Actually, it was a role I played in a movie. Entitled ‘Heartbreak’, it was shot late last year in Abuja. In the movie, I got married and the production pictures circulated in the media as part of publicity stunt for the movie. Then, some bloggers, who claim to be journalists, got hold of it and said I got married! It was just a movie wedding not a real one.
 When do you plan to re-marry since your children are all grown and you have debunked any recent marriage?
I have re-married! There has been no divorce although we have fought and gone our separate ways, but we are still together.
 Let’s talk about your marriage
I don’t think it is a relevant question because it is an African mentality. It is only a man who wants to ask you out that should ask if I am married or not. The Shan George in films and that in real life are two different people. The Shan George they created in the entertainment was full of life, loved high-flying lifestyle and was sexy. That has nothing to do with my person.
The reality of it is that most people have this sex idol image and they want to keep hammering on the sex issue. They keep saying I wear skimpy clothes but now some girls wear more terrible clothes. In those days, we wore skimpy clothes only to act films but now you see them wear it on the streets!
 Are there times you regret being an actress?
Yes. I do nurse regrets when people assume you are the roles you interpret in films. It is make-believe and if you don’t do it well, no producer comes for you again. The number two challenge of acting is the fact that people think you are what they see in movies. If you were living in a big house or you are a big Abuja babe and then when they see you in real life they want to see you in that wealthy appearance and opulence which is not in existence and then it has a psychological effect on those acting.
There was a time I was pelted with tomatoes at Alade market because some of those people believed I snatched my friend’s husband in a movie! That aside, some actors act as rich men/women in films and cannot extricate themselves from such roles in reality. They now live beyond their means and get involved in scandals because they are so desperate to meet with the standard. I am not a victim of that anyway.
 Is that a challenge in the make-believe industry?
Yes, some actors find it hard to come out of a character and be themselves. If you are not careful, you lose yourself in the middle of different characters.
 But there are films you expose a bit of flesh.
Yes, that was then. Now, I reject some scripts not because they would not pay me, (in fact, they are willing to pay double) but because of obscenity. Recently, I was invited to shoot a film in Ghana and I rejected the script because it exposes a lot of my body as a character in the movie. The producer was willing to pay me in millions but I refused.
 How have you been able to maintain your trim stature?
I’m just lucky because I don’t diet or go to the gym; but I am very careful about what I eat.
 Do you have a beauty routine?
My hair is natural, my skin is natural and I do not apply make-up. Therefore, I do not have a beauty routine.  I use normal lotion.
 Do you have dreams?
I don’t waste time dreaming. Dreaming is for people that are sleeping as far as I am concerned. As long as you are doing something, you don’t dream. You can probably have a projection when you are working on something. I live with my projection and when I am done, I rest and move to another.
 How fashionable are you?
I might wear designer clothes but I just get to the boutique and pick what I like. As long as it is fine and fits me, I wear it. I don’t follow the trend. Fashion does not me feel high. If you are too intellectually balanced, it is hard to pull off fashion trends because it is a thing of the mind and your mind is on intellectual things. So, there is no time for fashion.
 Are you still the sexy Shan?
I remain Shan George and I don’t understand what you mean by being sexy.

No comments:

Post a Comment